Employment discrimination & harassment
Portland Employment Attorneys
When it comes to workplace discrimination and harassment, our Portland employment attorneys at Owens & McBreen, P.C. are experienced in helping employees protect and vindicate their rights. We represent individuals who have been fired or mistreated in several areas. To learn more, click on one of the following areas:
- Discrimination and Harassment (including based on race, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, and religion)
- Medical Leave and Disability Discrimination and Retaliation
- Whistleblower Retaliation
- Denial of Unemployment Benefits
In most cases, it is illegal for an employer to fire you or treat you differently simply because of who you are, because you reported or resisted unlawful activity, or because you complained about violations of your legally protected rights. And most employers are required to provide unpaid medical leave and reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities. In addition to these areas, our employment attorneys help workers who are appealing unemployment benefit denials.
Most employees who have experienced employment discrimination, harassment, and retaliation are financially pinched. That’s why our employment attorneys handle most discrimination, retaliation, and harassment cases on a contingency basis, meaning that you do not pay for our services until and unless we recover something on your behalf. And for most unemployment cases, we offer reasonable flat rates. Owens & McBreen, P.C. is focused on helping you protect and vindicate your employment rights. Please contact us to find out if we can help you.
Our Four-Step Approach to Helping You
We take a four-step approach to assist you in holding your employer accountable if you have been wrongfully terminated from your job, are being treated differently at work based on a protected classification, have been denied medical leave, or have been denied a reasonable accommodation for your disability.
1. We listen: We understand how traumatic workplace discrimination or retaliation can be, and how important it is to be heard. While your employer may not have listened to your concerns, we are committed to understanding your unique situation and goals, and to ensuring you obtain the treatment and compensation you are entitled.
2. We explain: Knowledge is power. That’s why we pride ourselves on ensuring that our clients fully understand the laws, processes and practical realities that apply to each situation. Once we have a good sense of your unique circumstances, we provide you with a detailed analysis of your case, and an explanation of courses of action we can take on your behalf in order to achieve the justice you deserve.
3. We develop a plan: Once you have had a chance to consider your legal options, we work closely with you to develop a more specific plan of action that will achieve your goals. We understand that making decisions regarding legal action can be difficult and that every person’s circumstances are different. So we provide advice and recommendations throughout the process to ensure we develop the best plan to meet your needs. We will cover the pros and cons of every option, including trying to reach a settlement directly with your employer, filing your claims with an administrative agency, and seeking litigation. And we will never pressure you to take any legal action you don’t want to take.
4. We execute the plan: If you decide to move forward with legal action, we will fight to hold your employer accountable using all available means. Whether we work directly with your employer to reach a settlement on your behalf, file a complaint with the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries or file a lawsuit, we strive to provide excellent legal services and will zealously advocate for your rights every step of the way.